Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Socially secure

Yep, that's right, I have my social security number! I'm official! This clears the way for me to do a few other things on my to do list, because in the U.S., your 'social' is a key ID and everyone asks for it. Today I also had my first audition. It was for a short film about a young woman going to considerable lengths to bargain with Death in the hope that her deceased fiance will be returned to her. I read for Death, using a British accent. Somehow that seemed appropriate, as Death in this script is all-powerful, impatient and mischievous. And you know, Brits are usually cast as the baddies in American films.

The audition was held at the American Film Institute, which is a beautifully situated school, nestled in the Hollywood hills with lots of trees and a stunning view of the city sprawled out beneath it. For all the concrete ugliness that constitutes a large part of LA, there are occasional glimpses of genuine beauty. Driving along any of the north-south boulevards of the San Fernando valley road network and you see the hills rising up ahead of you; approaching the valley on the 405, at a certain moment you see the valley laid out beneath you, nestled cosily under a shimmering blanket of smog.

The week so far has also included more yoga (still loving it) and another acting workshop (with more general awesomeness from Vinny) and new Dexter. Can't help it, I just love that show and I love that I'm here to see the premiere of the new season. I'm also seeing ads for Where the Wild Things Are, which I'm dead keen to see; both because I love the book and because it was filmed in Melbourne. Yes, while I'm enjoying LA and am busily establishing my new life here, I do miss dear old Melbourne. The weather has been a little cooler here the last couple of days which has revived my desire for coffee. When it's hot, I don't miss it, but when it drops below 80 (fahrenheit) then I feel the caffeine demon whispering in my ear. Or maybe that's just my subjugated personality.

Two more sleeps till real bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment