Monday, September 21, 2009

Home at last

Monday morning first priority: the social security office! On good advice, I took myself to the nearest office first thing in the morning to avoid the notorious queues. Mindy said to me, "You might want to take some reading material." I didn't need it. Straight in, security checked with the magic wand, got my number and called immediately to the counter. A simple form to fill out, and 5 minutes later I was out of there. What a breeze! Within two weeks I should have my number and be ready to work.

It was a beautiful day in Santa Monica, so I sought out a nice spot for lunch; somewhere shaded but out in the open air. It was then I discovered I had lost my debit card. I knew instantly where I'd left it; in the atm machine I used yesterday. I'd taken out a large amount of cash to pay my rent, and had been so concerned with gathering it safely away and scurrying back to the car that I left the card in the machine! All atms should be designed not to deliver the cash until the card has been removed. So suddenly my leisurely afternoon was filled with the urgency of getting online to contact my bank and cancel the card. What a nuisance. At least I have my credit card so I should be fine, but grrr! so cross with myself. At least I knew where I'd left it, and it's unlikely anyone else got their hands on it. Fine then.

The fun part of the day, the moment I've been waiting for, was moving into my new home in Sherman Oaks. This is a really nice part of the much-maligned Valley (oh, those coastal snobs!) and I have a good feeling about the apartment and my new roommate, Emily. We can talk up a storm! After two years of travelling back and forth between LA and Melbourne, not really settled, not really having my own space, it feels great to unpack my suitcases and allow my mind to consider making a home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment