Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shopping!

The credit card has had a workout these last couple of days. First up was renting a car. Sadly, it's essential to have wheels in LA; you can get around without one, but the distances to travel and the heat this time of year make it sweaty, uncomfortable work. And right now I'm having to do quite a bit of running around setting myself up. Upon collecting my rental car around noon on Tuesday, I went to the bank to set up an account. All smooth sailing there, they're very happy to have my money and won't charge account fees.

I headed back out to my car in the parking lot behind the bank, noting the royal blue jaguar parked nearby. I guess the day was just going too smoothly so as I cautiously backed out of my carpark, I bumped into something. Shite! I thought I'd checked all my mirrors, but I guess I didn't double-check the rear view. The jaguar. You see, the last time I checked, it was sitting quietly in its parking spot. But while I was checking left and right for oncoming traffic, the jag slid out of its spot and into my blind one. Aargh! I haven't had a bingle like this for years. So stupid. Thank goodness I opted for the comprehensive insurance coverage at the rental place. I sheepishly drove back and returned the car, filled in the accident report, handed over the jaguar's details (driver: an elderly man, very upright posture), and was furnished with a replacement car. All very easy actually. Welcome to LA! I went home and busied myself with the less risky activity of unpacking my suitcases and hanging my clothes on new coathangers.

In the evening, I attended the first of a series of 8 acting workshops I've signed up for with one of my favourite instructors. Vinny is an actor and brimful of energy and passion for actors and the art of acting. He calls his workshops The Sport of Acting, because acting is a physical activity and the best actors train and practice their craft as hard as elite athletes. It's a practical, energetic philosophy. Anyway, it was great to get stuck into it, this is what I'm here for and I feel like I belong.

With extreme caution I ventured out again this morning. I MUST get a bed! A real bed, not a cheapie futon. This is an investment in my adulthood and my health. I've never bought a proper bed before, I can't believe how long I've slept on futons, and over much of this past 12 months, on a sofa bed. Oh, the luxury of a real bed; a glorious, cushiony, well-supported mattress. Bliss! I arrived shortly after the place opened so I was the only customer. Like Goldilocks, I skipped from bed to bed, trying out different degrees of firmness until I found the one that was just right. Delivery next week, can't wait.

The next item on my list, and somewhat more modest, was a printer/scanner. This is simply essential to have, so that I can print out scripts etc. I got a good deal on a wireless printer that was on sale, and then because I got the last one and the box was a bit damaged I scored an extra 12% off. It's like magic being able to print from my laptop without being physically attached to the printer. I guess the novelty will wear off, but right now I can't control the little gasp of delight I emit when the printer kicks in.

Speaking of gasps of delight, I keep seeing ads for the new season of Dexter which is due to start screening here on Sunday. Woo hoo! It doubles up with Californication. Double woo hoo!

1 comment:

  1. Blind spot on the car! Was it an Echo?
    I have nearly finished Madmen. Betty is getting interesting and Don is getting boring.
    I can't share yoyr enthusiasm for Dexter and Californication sounds too dreadful for words.Especially when you are there!
    Looking forward to chat tomorrow.
    Love
    Mum

    ReplyDelete