Sunday, September 20, 2009

L.A. landing

This is serious Mum. After a couple of trips to Los Angeles over the last two years I have been lucky enough to acquire a green card (in the lottery - yes the lottery, it's not an urban myth) and on September 17, 2009 I arrived at LAX and was welcomed as a new resident of the United States. Wow. I feel very lucky to have this opportunity, which will allow me to pursue my acting career. Oh no, another actor in L.A! Worse, another Aussie actor in L.A. I know it won't be easy, but I'm ready for the adventure, come what may.

So here's the first official entry of my first official blog. Facebook be damned, it's too slow and clunky to use as a surrogate blog. My dear friends and family back home in Australia, I hope you enjoy the read. I'm missing you already, but so very excited about what's ahead of me and I'm happy to be here in the city of angels.

Has it only been three days? I landed on Thursday morning at the dreaded LAX, widely regarded as one of the most hideous airports in the world. Constantly under construction, it's very busy and host to numerous airlines. One walks through institution-grey corridors, along newly renovated walkways with blue carpet, travelators and curious wall murals that change colour, to the intimidating bank of about 40 customs counters and finally through to old brown linoleum baggage collection halls and arrival gates.

Some kind of mix up meant that Mindy and I missed each other at the airport so I had to catch a shuttle bus to Santa Monica. The young man ushering the shuttle buses and helping with the luggage pronounced me a beautiful sight. American men just say things like that, and seem to mean it (although perhaps this one was hoping for a tip). After a 14 hour flight it was a surprising but welcome thing to hear. Finally arriving at Mindy's apartment I gratefully slept for a couple of hours before forcing myself up and out into the world, hoping to beat jetlag. It didn't really work, but I did get on the internet to start looking for share accommodation. Emailed about half a dozen prospects, and had heard back from most of them by the evening. Lined up two appointments Friday afternoon; both asked me how long I'd been in town, and were equally surprised by my answer; "oh, about 36 hours."

The first place was a winner. Great location, great apartment (2BR, 2 bathroom), great roommate. Loved it. The second place was a beautiful house with a large split-level backyard, swimming pool and jacuzzi. It's home to a family who rent out the bedroom of their eldest son who no longer lives there. Obviously. Would be kinda weird otherwise. And cramped. They were lovely but I think it would have felt like I was moving in with my parents, so despite the luxuries afforded there, and the very reasonable rent, I had to say no. I looked at another place on Saturday morning, in Hollywood. Sounds like the dream, huh? Turns out Hollywood as a suburb is pretty sketchy, and I didn't feel completely comfortable there. The room for rent turned out to be in a converted garage behind the landlord's house. The other occupant of the garage had only been there two weeks. He seemed like a nice enough guy but I knew instantly that this was not a place I could call home. It was a place for teenage boys to pretend they're in a rock band. Shudder, no thanks.

I contacted the first place and happily was accepted, so I move in on Monday. YES!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Christina! Good on you for getting a place so quickly - that is a good thing to get done.

    Will send you an email on another matter on Facebook...

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. I look forward to much cogitative meanderings.

    love you
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you and Mindy missed. That thought was a comfort to me too. But all's well etc. Much more important that you have a base you like so soon. Christine is going to help me manage my facebook some time this week. So I can keep you updated.
    All my ove
    Mum

    ReplyDelete