Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sunnies side up

Dear readers, I’ve been neglecting you! It’s Wednesday, nearly three weeks to the day since my arrival in Lala land, and I’m pleased to report that I’m in deeply caffeinated love with my little espresso maker. Oh, baby what a darling device! It’s a cute little number, simple and compact, and it delivers perfect coffee. The Ethiopian Organic blend is fragrant and delicious, almost fruity, with good body. Next time I’m going to try a darker roast.

Feeling like a princess in my glorious new bed and sleeping well, thanks for asking. I’ve started sniffing around for part-time work. I have an interview with a recruitment agency on Friday, and I’m applying for a couple of writing/editing/assistant type jobs advertised on craigslist. I’ve also got another audition lined up on Friday for an actor’s showcase. They’re not asking for money (a lot of showcases are funded by the actors), just the energy and willingness to promote the shows, which will be four consecutive Wednesdays through November/December. And of course they want to ensure a certain standard of performance, hence the auditions. Definitely worth checking out, now I just have to pick a monologue.

The drama of the week has been the loss of my new sunglasses. OK, it’s hardly the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. I left them on the counter when I checked in for my yoga class. My hands were full what with my bag, water bottle and the mat I bought at the time. Anyway, with all that I completely forgot about them until the end of the class when I opened my case to find it empty. Then I remembered about putting them on the counter, but by then they were long gone. The thing that bothers me the most is that this is not a busy thoroughfare; the studio is only frequented by staff and participants so whoever took them is probably someone I did the class with. Anyway, I’m trying not to dwell on it now, because it will get me nowhere but irritated.

Acting class last night was awesome as usual. We mostly worked on monologues, which is nice and juicy. A couple of people were sick, but present, and participated to varying degrees. There seems to be something going round, a few of the IBISWorld folk have come down with colds too. It’s a change of season, the weather is considerably cooler than it was two weeks ago, although it’s still sunny and gorgeous. I’m hoping that the battery of bugs I caught during the Aussie winter will see me armed against a U.S. onslaught!

Yesterday I picked up a batch of headshots, so I'm ready to get out there and start distributing. I've signed up for a bunch of workshops with casting directors at TVI, a good way to start meeting them and showing my wares, so to speak. I also picked up my green card - which is disappointingly not very green. It is rather high-tech though, complete with holograms, and came with its own little paper sheath to help keep it in mint condition.

5 comments:

  1. can you please post a pic of the green card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see a pic of a headshot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, headshot now displayed as profile pic. Beebs, green card pic on the way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bit of a pain in the ass that you can't post a comment without binding yourself in perpetuity to one of the blogger partners..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it should be possible for anyone to post, and then for the blogger to be able to remove unwanted messages or block people.

    ReplyDelete