Saturday, October 3, 2009

Slimmons!

Today’s activities included going to Richard Simmons’ last aerobics class. Have you heard of this guy? If not, Google him. He’s kind of an aerobics icon, once of the first to do videos etc. He has a gym in Beverly Hills called Slimmons. Richard is apparently due for a knee operation, so this will be his last class for awhile, or possibly forever. The class was really old-style aerobics, I couldn’t say it was a tough workout for me, but it was so much fun! The room was absolutely packed with people of all shapes, sizes and ages, and Richard was hilarious and camp and full of beans. He wore a tiny little pair of red and white striped running shorts with a red tank top decorated, Christmas-style, with sparkles. At the age of 61 (a fact which prompted a round of applause when he announced it – Americans!), he still sports his trademark red-brown afro fuzz of red hair. Richard is a performer as much as a fitness guru. The moves were simple, but augmented with lots of "jazz hands". He yelled motivational things at us like; "What time did you get to bed last night?!" and "Did you have breakfast?!" and referring to our bellies while doing abdominal crunches "You fit it, now lift it!" He is one of a kind. After the class everyone wanted their photo taken with him – including me!

I went along with Julie and her friends Eric and Ben (all actors!). After the class, we went to a coffee place in Pasadena called Jones. I was sceptical about the coffee they might serve up, LA is hardly a shining example of coffee culture. However, my reservations were quickly dispensed when we got there. This is a serious coffee house; they roast and sell their own beans and it smells great. I had an espresso which was very good and took the opportunity to buy an old-fashioned Italian stove-top espresso maker. They are as rare as hen’s teeth in LA (the reliable Bodum French press is more common). I bought half a pound of ground beans too - Organic Ethopian, no less - which is currently smelling divine in my kitchen. I know what I'll be drinking with my breakfast tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment