Saturday, August 28, 2010

Date rant

OK, what is it with men in LA?  Is it just that most of the ones I meet are actors?  I'm sick of actors: flakey, self-absorbed, iPhone-addicted, waiting-for-the-best-offer, bozos!  Ugh, I'm so bored with shop-talk, so sick of this inability to commit to anything further in the future than a couple of hours - I'm not talking about marriage, let's start with coffee!  Good grief.  Maybe I'm being too tough on actors, maybe it's an LA state of mind.  Make a date and wait for the "running late" or "sorry, something came up" text message.  Traffic is usually blamed; I'm sorry, we're all aware how bad the traffic can be, make allowances for it!  Yes, yes, I'm generalising.  And, thankfully, I have friends who are not flakey at all (even though most of them are actors).  But I need to get this off my chest.

Many people have complained to me about the crappy state of the dating scene in LA.  I've been surprised to discover several very attractive, very sweet young women who have resorted to online dating.  And while I've been asked out on more dates here than a year in Melbourne, they've gone nowhere (in one case, because it turned out the guy had a girlfriend - cue eye-rolling and the obvious questions) or been cancelled before they took place.  Hence, I declaim: what is it with men in LA?  Grow some balls, guys.  Not all the women here are superficial, money-grasping, fake-tanned, fake-boobed, botoxed predators.  Some of us are worth getting to know.  Some of us will enrich your life, if you'll just let us in.

1 comment:

  1. That's terrible! It's good that you are at least meeting guys and they are asking you out, but what the??

    I'm now on two online dating sites and have had a total of 2 dates. This aspect of dating requires a whole separate rant...

    ReplyDelete