Monday, January 18, 2010

New home

It's Sunday night again, but no I am not at Fabs indulging in a half price glass of wine.  Today I moved out of the cat house!  I'm now cosy in bed in my new room, listening to the rain falling outside.  Glorious sound.  It has rained non-stop since this afternoon, but I got moved in before it got heavy.  Jim the Mover brought his truck and four burly Mexicans to pick up my modest possessions and transport them across the other side of Ventura Boulevard to my new home.  It's a smaller apartment than the previous one, but it's big enough for two petite women to share.  My new roomie is Gina, who is about 60 years old and something of a former hippie.  Large crystals adorn the chunky coffee table in the living room, which is decorated warmly in an Asian/Indian style with big, chocolate brown couches, and a feature wall painted terracotta facing a painting of Tibetan monks.  She lived most of her 20s in India and Nepal, working as a dancer and dance teacher.  A most interesting woman, with, I suspect, many stories to tell.

By the way, I've put new sheets on the bed and they are distracting.  Let me explain; when I first arrived in L.A. I needed to set myself up with basic bedding, pronto.  I went to Bed Bath & Beyond with the intention of buying pillows and a coverlet (what we would call a doona, Down Under).  Well, they had a bedroom 'starter pack' on sale.  For about $80, I got a coverlet, two pillows, fitted sheet, flat sheet, pillow cases, blanket, laundry basket and whiteboard.  Yeah, the whiteboard threw me too, but hey.  Great deal any way you look at it.  However, I had no choice over the colour scheme.  Which is pink and brown.  The coverlet is reversible - hot pink one side, brown the other - and the highly flammable blanket is brown.  The sheets are white with large pink and brown polkadots.  Now you understand why they're distracting.  The dots are roughly the size of the imprint a small jar of Vegemite would make if first dipped in hot pink paint.  A longwinded way to say, about 5cm in diameter.  I wouldn't be surprised if I hallucinate large pink dots in my sleep.  Another way of saying I'll be dreaming big dots.  Here's a photo for your viewing pleasure, try not to hallucinate.




The Golden Globes were on this afternoon, and we watched a repeat telecast of them this evening.  Ricky Gervais was in fine form as host, and James Cameron was tedious.  The man needs a haircut for a start.  I probably shouldn't criticise Avatar, since I haven't seen it, but what the hell.  From what I have seen, it is a visual spectacular with a cliched, overwrought script.  Pretty much like Titanic, which I have seen.  Unquestionably, Cameron knows what appeals to a mass audience.  Unfortunately, the masses wouldn't know superior filmmaking if it jumped up and bit them on the arse - in 3D.  Boo! I say, BOO!  Oh, and Sam Worthington looked positively grumpy.  Just what, young man, do you have to be grumpy about?  Smile, you surly git, smile!

During the week I checked out a great little theatre, perfect for a restaging of Beaten Hearts.  That's right, ladies and gentlemen, Baggage will be making its L.A. debut in a few short months.  I also did another mail-out to agents, with Regi's advice.  Gotta get that ball rolling, it's freaking 2010 already!  I gotta get me more auditions and earn some money!

1 comment:

  1. Jaysus woman! That bed is a colour ABOMINATION.

    Well, actually it's ok. I think that you know that I have a sort of addiction to manchester (bedding, not the place although I hear its great) and stationery. So to be honest, brightly coloured bedding is interesting to me, much as a light source moving across a wall is interesting to a cat (I've had too much Pinot tonight).

    I would like a picture of the cat at the new house please. Also I would like pictures of the new house, it's tiresome to ask in fact. So get on it.

    The Oscars are approaching and I'm a bit sad that we won't be having an Oscar party. P'raps we can have a skype chat about it instead?

    Keep blogging, I live for this shit.

    love ya.
    B

    ReplyDelete