Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Grrrrrr!

Life in the cattery continues.  Litter smells haven't been an issue as in the end Emily successfully arranged for a friend to come over every few days to take care it, however the meowing and growling and necessity of keeping the two separated is tiresome.  When I'm home I can babysit, unless I'm sleeping.  All other times Pearl has to be kept behind a closed door because Pilot will stalk her and given the opportunity even drive her out of her (and Emily's) room.  The doors to both bedrooms are right next to each other.  Yesterday morning, pre-dawn, I awoke to the sound of low growling outside my door.  At first I assumed it was Pearl, although her pitch is usually much higher.  Then as my sleepy ears adjusted I realised the sound wasn't muffled enough to be coming from behind a second closed door, it was right outside my own.  What the hell was going on?  So I got up, grumpily.  It was Pilot, growling at Pearl through the door; "I'm gonna f*%k you up little pussycat, just wait, momma's gonna find your corpse... grrrr."  Or words to that effect.  I chased him off.  When I chase him I have to bark at him to really get him moving, otherwise he only backs up a few paces.  The barking does the trick, he streaks downstairs and hides under a chair.  It's a madhouse.  The other night I dreamt Pilot attacked me, the beast; it wasn't a long torturous nightmare, just that moment of being caught off-guard and having to shake him off my back.  A little unsettling nonetheless.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to getting away!  Regi and I are planning a trip up the coast to San Francisco and a visit to a friend in Monterey (hi Garyth!) next week.

On Sunday I went to Boot Camp class again.  I seem to be getting there only every two weeks, but want to make a better habit of it.  I'm feeling a bit squidgey, need more cardio exercise.  Boot Camp doesn't engage the mind very much but is a great workout, the kind I still feel the next day.  On Monday afternoon I went over to Ted's place to rehearse one more time before class on Tuesday.  It happened to be his birthday, so I scored an invitation to stay for dinner.  His partner, Suzanne (a lovely actress, also in Vinny's class with us) was cooking a turkey because Ted was in New Zealand during Thanksgiving so he missed out.  Some other friends joined us and it was a delightful evening all round.

A few things are wrapping up this week.  We had our last class with Vinny for the year last night.  Ted and I performed our scene, got some good direction and things to work on (especially me) for the next time we present it - in 2010!  It was a small class, and we had a little party at the end of it; Vinny and his wife Cindy brought along some sparkling wine, and Ted and Suzanne brought leftover birthday cake.  It was a big delicious chocolate cake and plenty to go around. 

This Saturday will be the last of the emotionally tumultuous 8 week course I've been doing with Rick and Russell; on the whole I've enjoyed it and learned a lot, but I'll also be glad when it's over!  This week we can pick any scene or monologue to perform; it's supposed to be our "signature piece", the 2 minute piece that presents us in our best light, a star-making role.  No pressure!  I tried writing a monologue for myself, but it's tough and I prefer writing monologues for other people.  I looked at various scripts, from The Hours to Orlando and What Women Want.  Great female roles in all of them.  Nothing quite clicked, nothing seemed 'good enough'.  I emailed Rick and Russell for advice.  Rick called me.  He advised getting back in touch with the movies that made me want to be an actor, that lit the fire in my belly.  So I thought about Alfred Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Gone With the Wind.  I looked at the script for Notorious, Ingrid Bergman's role - not quite right.  Thought about The Philadelphia Story but I'm so enamoured of that film and of Hepburn that I fear I would end up simply impersonating her.  Then I hit upon His Girl Friday and have extracted a rapid fire Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell scene.  At the end of the day, whether or not it can be considered truly a signature piece, I'm going to have fun performing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment